Last October it was 50 years of Sputnik. The cold war aside, the shock spurred several initiatives in the following years which lead to
- An engineering boom and the new math
- DARPA, NLS, hypertext, and the Internet's and GUI's ancestors
- The National Science Foundation NSF
- Standardized project management frameworks
- And last but not least: A man on the moon in 1969 - whatever happened since then ...
1 month ago Bill Gates asked on LinkedIn: "How can we do more to encourage young people to pursue careers in science and technology?" My answer was: “As parents: Be afraid of the future (Sputnik effect) and provide good toys (LEGO, fischertechnik).”